We are quickly approaching the Independence Day Holiday, which means we have started receiving inquires about regulations on the sale and discharge of fireworks.
Fireworks can be sold starting today (June 28) through July 4. The permitted hours of sale are 9 AM – 10 PM on June 28 through July 3 and 9 AM – 11 PM on July 4.
People can shoot off fireworks within Augusta city limits on July 3 and July 4 from 8 AM until midnight. There are also several regulations on how and where fireworks cannot be discharged. The following acts are not allowed:
- The discharge of fireworks within 1,000 feet of any hospital, sanitarium or infirmary;
- The discharge of fireworks into, under or from any motor vehicle, whether moving or standing still;
- The discharge of fireworks within 200 feet of any facility where fireworks are sold or stored;
- The discharge of fireworks within 300 feet of a service station;
- The discharge of fireworks on any public roadway, street or right of way;
- The discharge of fireworks in any manner which may pose an unreasonable risk of fire, property damage or personal injury;
- The discharge of fireworks on private property not owned or under the legal control of the person discharging the fireworks unless the person is a social invitee and has permission of the owner to discharge the fireworks;
- The discharge of fireworks toward any residence, commercial building or other structure whether intended or not.
The City will also conduct its own annual fireworks display on July 4, 2021 at dusk; the show will be best viewed over Augusta City Lake. Have a safe and joyful Fourth of July!